1. Improving your intuition in general, because this exercise strengthens your connection to your subconscious.
2. A way to open your third eye, and thereby your clairvoyance.
3. Helps you analyze your own state of mind and happenings in your life.
4. You start to understand the symbols and meanings of your dreams, and that helps you get insights into your life, problems, or anything that might be puzzling you.
5. You start to get psychic information.
6. This is the first step usually in learning how to Lucid Dream.
7. Improves your creativity.
8. Opens up a gateway to meeting your departed loved ones, your angels, and guides. Especially after you start lucid dreaming.
Now that we have counted the reasons to write your dream journal :-), I’ll write down some tips on how to do the dream journaling.
1. Get a lovely journal that you will feel like using.
2. Keep it on your nightstand right next to your bed, with a pen, and a booklight in case you wake up at night and have something really interesting to write. Trust me, it will start happening, and no, unless you plan on writing a novel, you will not lose sleep. Just jot down important things that will make you remember the dream the next morning. If you want, you could even keep a voice recorder for this purpose.
3. As of now, you might not be having a great dream recall, or you might even think, “I never dream”. However, when you start keeping a dream journal, you will start to have better and better dream recall.
4. Before you sleep each night, just before you go to sleep, tell yourself that you will remember your dreams when you wake up.
5. When you wake up, do not move. Movement somehow makes the dreams evaporate. So stay put as you are. And keep your eyes closed and start to remember what you dreamed of. In the beginning you might not remember anything. Persist with your daily efforts. Soon you will start recalling very small bits and pieces of your dream. Remembering even just feelings or vague feelings of color and texture is great in the beginning. Write it down without judging. You will find (especially with more practice) that as you start writing it down, more and more details will flow into your conscious mind.
6. If you do this regularly, you will start to see that your dream recall becomes really detailed.
7. At some point of time, when you are getting reasonable recalls, start to write your interpretations.
8. When you become more adept at dream recalls, start asking yourself questions about your current problems just before you go to sleep and ask yourself to be shown the insights or answers in your dreams. This is an amazing way to get your subconscious mind to help you with problem solving. This is also a way for your guides and angels to communicate their messages to you.
9. Doing this exercise regularly can lead you to meeting your departed loved ones, your angels, and your guides by asking to meet them. You can ask just before sleeping, or when you start to get conscious in your dreams, ie, you start lucid dreaming. If you get conscious in your dream, you can ask to meet your loved ones,and very often you do get to meet them this way. But Lucid Dreaming is another big topic, so I will leave it here at this introduction.
Do not get discouraged if in the beginning you cannot recall anything. That is perfectly alright. It changes rapidly with practice. I promise.